Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chili



I didn't have a recipe for chili so I have been searching AllRecipes for one that I thought sounded good. I think I looked at 10 different recipes but there was always one thing in each of them that I didn't like. So I took all of them and combined them into one that I liked. It turned out pretty good, I may tweak it just a little next time. My kids really liked it! So I guess it really is "my" recipe!

1 lb. ground beef, browned and seasoned with salt and pepper
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 15-oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 sm. can diced green chiles
1 green pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped fine (optional)
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
4 cloves garlic, pressed OR 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. garlic salt
(If using garlic cloves add 1 tbsp. salt)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar

Brown seasoned ground beef in frying pan and drain excess grease. Place all ingredients into crockpot or large pot. Simmer in crockpot for 4-6 hours on low heat. Add 1/2 c. flour dissolved in 1 c. water about 1 hour before serving to thicken. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and/or sour cream. Serve with breadsticks, garlic toast or tortilla chips.

No comments: