Monday, January 7, 2013

Hearty Italian Sausage Soup

I found this recipe on Pinterest and it is DEFINITELY a keeper. Everyone in the family liked it. I modified it slightly (as I do with almost every recipe) and will post how I made it. This is the link to the original recipe here.  I served it with hot garlic bread.


1 lb. Italian sausage (ground)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp. olive oil
2 14 oz. cans less sodium chicken broth
1 soup can of water (approx12 oz.)
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed
1 14.5 oz can Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 c. rotini pasta, uncooked
1 1/2 c. baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
shredded Mozzarella cheese  for topping

Cook ground sausage, onions, garlic and olive oil in frying pan until cooked through. In large stock post add cooked sausage to chicken broth, water, beans and stewed tomatoes. Bring to a boil and stir in pasta. Cook for 8 minutes or until noodles are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve in bowls and top with shredded Mozzarella. Serve with hot garlic bread.


No comments: