Monday, January 7, 2013

Christmas Breakfast Casserole



I can’t remember where I saw this recipe but I have had it saved on my computer for a while. I decided to make it Christmas morning and it turned out SO yummy! I made one half with sausage and one half with leftover ham diced up from Christmas Eve Dinner. (the kiddos don’t love sausage). 

2 lbs. ground sausage (or cooked, crumbled bacon or diced and browned ham)
1 lb. frozen hashbrowns
14 eggs
3/4 c. milk
1 onion, chopped fine
fresh mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 green pepper, diced
3 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
Chopped tomato to garnish
Salsa to garnish if desired

Brown sausage in large frying pan. Remove from heat once cooked through and drain excess drippings. Saute chopped onion and hashbrowns in same frying pan (I wiped out drippings from sausage with a paper towel but left just enough to flavor). Meanwhile, beat eggs and milk until combined. Add mushrooms, green pepper and cheese to egg mixture and season with salt and pepper. Spread cooked hashbrowns and then sausage (bacon or ham) in 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with egg mixture. Top with more cheese. Bake uncovered at 375F until eggs are cooked through. Garnish with fresh diced tomato and salsa if desired.  I also served with biscuits. Merry Christmas! 

No comments: